Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Bring on the Glitter!

When asked what I'm most proud of in my life, my mind went to, "What made me glitter inside?" I expected a musical achievement to rise to the surface like cream rises in milk. However, I was surprised to find that one very non-glittery achievement surpassed all of my musical ones: passing my CPA exams.

I have to start by saying that the CPA exams, taken to become a certified professional accountant, are only passed by a fraction of people who take the exams. I was given guidelines of how and what to study, but it was really up to me to stick to the schedule. I also had to recognize that I wouldn’t know everything on the exam. It’s designed that way, but I had to know enough that I could score enough points on the things I did know, so that I could pass. I studied for four months, twelve hours a day, not including the one-month break I took in the middle to adventure around Australia. ;)

I was so stressed on a constant basis that my hair began to fall out. I didn’t have time to stop studying in order to work out, so I did flashcards on the stationary bike and read my notes while walking on the treadmill. If studying were an addiction, I was obsessed. I definitely did not go out. I didn’t have time. I woke up at 6, studied until 9 on the patio, then got ready and went to the library, which opened at 10am. I would study there until 2pm, take a half hour lunch, then go back from 2:30-6pm before going to the gym to study while exercising. I would go home to eat dinner, then up to my room to study until 9pm or until my brain couldn’t comprehend anymore.

I look back and wonder how I did it, how I was able to focus. I only know for sure that coffee, 5-hour energy drinks, and water were essential. I pushed past what my body saw as an acceptable amount of time to learn new material. I pushed past being tired or wanting to see friends. I ignored the need to control my immediate surroundings. And physically, I pushed past the amount of time my body felt I could sit in a chair…which is also why the gym and proper eating habits were so essential. I pushed my limits until they gave in and the only constraint was the number of hours in a day.


I guess that's why I'm so proud of that accomplishment. It took everything I had and then some, but I did it. Honestly, the four months I spent studying and expanding my limits are just fuzzy memories. I don't remember any significant events or moments, because there were none. I studied all the time. But they were worth it! I now know that my limits are much farther than I ever expected, which gives me immeasurable amounts of strength and courage to move forward into whatever venture I take on. 

Limits aren't hard to push until they push back and they always push back. The most you can do is fight like hell, ignore your comfort zone, and keep yourself healthy so you can continue to push forward with full strength. You may just come to discover that those are your proudest moments.

I thought I'd share this shot from the deck of the Condor, the sailboat I sailed on for 3 days in the Whitsundays of Australia in my month off during studying. That was another limit I pushed: traveling alone through Australia for a month, adventuring and creating thousands of memories to last a lifetime of stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment